Two die in Kogi as Mine Site Collapses, Govt. Orders Probe

 

 

From Joseph Amedu, Lokoja

 

 

Gov Yahaya Bello

 

 

 

Two persons simply identified as Amodu and Attah were killed at Ika-ogboyaga in Ankpa Local Government of Kogi state as a result of mine site collapse that occurred in the area.

Following the incident, the Kogi State Government has ordered a probe of the mining site that collapsed.

Reacting to the development, the state Commissioner for Solid Minerals and Natural Resources, Bashiru Gegu, in a statement, said the ministry had directed the total stoppage of illegal mining in the state following the death of the victims on Saturday.

Gegu said the government was worried by the activities of some unknown operators at various mining sites in the state, adding that miners should register with the government as failure to do so would attract sanctions.

He also said the deceased victims had been buried in accordance with Islamic rites.