Revealed: Why Suspected Killer Herdsmen Shot Dead US- Based Nigerian in Edo State.


By Our Correspondent.


Late Chief Dennis Abuda


Co-victims of the abducted 63- years old President of Fugar America Foundation, Chief Dennis Abuda, have revealed why he was shot dead by his kidnappers, suspected to be herdsmen.

Chief Abuda, who is an insurance broker based in Atlanta in the United States of America, flew into Nigeria in December for the Christmas/ New Year festivities at his hometown in Fugar, Etsako Central local government area of Edo state.

 On Saturday January 30, 2021, he was kidnapped by suspected herdsmen at Ahor on the Benin By-pass in the state alongside three relations who were accompanying him to Lagos where he was billed to board a flight back to his base in the United States of America. The relations were Chief David Oghieakhe, Mr Richard Bologi and Mrs Comfort.

They were all forcefully taken into the nearby forest.

THISAGE was informed that the gunmen became angry when they noticed that Chief Abuda’s could not continue the journey into the forest due to extreme exhaustion. They shot him dead and took others with them.

After killing him, the kidnappers opened a fifty million naira ransom negotiation with his family members.

But when the family insisted on speaking with him the kidnappers forced other victims in their net to say he was in another camp in the bush.

On Tuesday night, February 2, 2021, the three other victims regained their freedom, except Chief Dennis Abuda whose whereabouts, though dead, remained unknown. The family thereon alerted the police.

Notified, the Commissioner of Police in Edo State, CP Philip Ogbadu, led a search party into the Ahor forest to find Ogbadu’s remains and the abductors.

The search party included the Ikpoba Hill Area commander in Benin city, ACP Adebowale Lawal, the Divisional Police Officer, Egba Division, CSP Ayoola Ojo and other men from the police tactical and crack teams of the Edo state Command of the Nigeria Police Force.

During the search at the forest near Benin city, the kidnappers’ hideouts were found and raided and some suspects were arrested.

In the process, the body of late Chief Dennis Abuda was recovered.

Two of the victims, Chief Oghieakhe and Mr Bologi described the attack “as hell on earth”.

Speaking with newsmen later, Chief Oghieakhe said, “my brother could not walk fast, and the kidnappers killed him. I begged them not to kill him that we will carry him, but they refused and shot him dead “.

Mr Bologi,the driver of the Sienna car in which the victims travelled, said; “ l was descending from Ahor hill, when I saw them. They just entered the road and started shooting. I was forced to stop. They then carried all of us into the bush with the occupants of another car. They gave us a terrible treatment”.

He lamented; “Chief Abuda is a great philanthropist as he has helped a lot of people in Fugar”.

Speaking on the incident,  the Ikpoba Hill Area Commander in Benin city, the Edo state capital, ACP Adebowale Lawal, said the police would continue to keep vigil on the Benin By-pass as a way to keep criminals out of the area.

The remains of Chief Dennis Abuda have been deposited in the mortuary for an autopsy.

His younger brother,  Chief Julius Abuda, who wept bitterly over the sad loss, thanked the people of Fugar community and Benin-city, for their massive support during their ordeal.