Presidency Urges Nigerians To Postpone US Trip

 

The Presidency has advised Nigerians against travels to the USA until the new travel ban signed by President Trump unfolds with clarity

Hon. Abike Dabiri-Eruwa, special adviser to the president on foreign affairs, said in a statement that Nigerians “without any compelling or essential reasons” should consider delaying.

“In the last few weeks, the office has received a few cases of Nigerians with valid multiple-entry US visas being denied entry and sent back to Nigeria,” she said.

“In such cases reported to the office, such affected persons were sent back immediately on the next available flight and their visas were cancelled.”

Dabiri-Erewa said “no reasons were given for the decision by the US immigration authorities”.

She said the recommendation to postpone trips was given “until there is clarity on the new immigration policy” from Washington.

A glaring example of discrimination is a software engineer from Lagos, Celestine Omin, 28, who said that he was made to sit a written test by US airport immigration officers because they weren’t convinced he was telling the truth about his skills.

According to Omin, he landed in New York’s JFK airport last Sunday after a 24-hour flight from Nigeria.

He had been granted a short-term visa to work with First Access, a financial technology company in New York’s Manhattan district Andela, a tech start-up with offices in New York, Lagos, Nairobi and San Francisco, employs Mr Omin.

The firm says it recruits “the most talented developers on the African continent” and connects them with tech employers in the US for potential job vacancies.

After being asked a series of questions by a US Customs and Border Protection officer, he was taken into a room for further checks. He was later allowed to go after, he learnt, the officer had phoned Andela to confirm his story

 

 

 

 

Comments are closed.