Kidnappers of Priests, Chief, Arrested in Kogi


From Joseph Amedu,  Lokoja

The Kogi State Command of the Nigerian Police Force has arrested five notorious kidnappers that were responsible for kidnapping and robbing people along Okene -Lokoja road.

Among those paraded on Monday by the Police Command included those that abducted Rev. Leo Micheal and Usman Adoga,  the chief of Jakura community recently.

Parading the suspected kidnappers before newsmen, the state police commissioner,  CP Ali Janga said the five suspects were arrested based on intelligent report following a tip off.

According to him,  one of the suspects Ibrahim Musa that was part of the gang which abducted  Father Micheal at Irepeni village along Lokoja -Okene road and Chief of Jakura, gave useful information to the police, adding that the command is on the trail of other suspects connected with that incident.

The police commissioner told journalists that the sum of N240,000 was collected from the  suspects.

The Police Commissioner therefore appealed to members of the public to always avail the command of information of happenings around them negatively in order to flush out criminals from the state.

Janga who said a total sum of N1.1m was paid as ransom to the gang members , before the chief of Jakura was left off their hook, noted that the command will arraign the suspects in the law court immediately they complete their investigation.

One of the suspect, Musa confessed taking part in the said kidnapping operation,  saying that one of the gang members,  Shagari shot and killed the son of the chief of Jakura in one of their operations.

Musa who hailed from Niger state said he was into kidnapping and robbery business for years,  adding that he relocated to Kogi State with others to continue making  money from banditry activities.

Also speaking with newsmen,  the chief of Jakura,  Usman Adoga who was one of the victims of the kidnappers said he ran into the group and unfortunately lost his son in the process.

He stressed that he was dragged to unknown place in the bush where he spent 5-day before he was released