By Nkeremwem Cosmas, Lagos
The media office of former President of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar has denounced as fake news, an opinion article titled “IPOB: Loathe or love Kanu, he has fought better – Atiku”, purportedly written and signed by His Excellency Atiku Abubakar, Vice President of Nigeria, 1999-2007 and chieftain of All Progressives Congress in circulation.
In a statement signed by Mazi Paul Ibe, Media Adviser to Abubakar, the office said what started as the handiwork of mischief makers and their sponsors bent on tarnishing the reputation of the Waziri Adamawa was first noticed on chat rooms.
He said: “But having found its way on the website of a reputable newspaper which obviously fell victim to the evil work of the scammers, the media office of the former Vice President is compelled to respond and to state as follows:
1. That the article in circulation is unknown to Atiku Abubakar or Atiku Media Office;
2. That His Excellency Atiku Abubakar never signed any opinion article with that title in circulation;
3. That this is the handiwork of evil people and their cowardly sponsors aimed at soiling the reputation of Atiku Abubakar and his political standing;
4. That this signposts a wicked and deliberate plot to unleash media attack on Atiku Abubakar with a view to portraying him in bad light;
4. That this is classical Fake News;
5. The Atiku Media Office urges Nigerians and the reading public to discountenance the article and to be vigilant as more of such diabolical stuff are underway.
The article in question purportedly valorised the exploits of IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu and eulogised him for making impact on the agitation for restructuring of the country, which for the past 35 years had eluded attempts by past national heroes such as Chief Anthony Enahoro, former Premier of Western Region and late sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, legal luminary Chief Ben Nwabueze, SAN, and organisations such as Afenifere, OPC, MASSOB and MEND.